Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Day 7- October 20th

Today we did quite a bit of driving around as we are off to see the Ring of Kerry. This is a roadway that goes around the southwest tip of Ireland. Along the way we had more lectures about the history of Ireland and I felt very proud of myself over how much I already knew. Our weather today is overcast, but no rain, and not too cold. We had a few photo stops along the way. At one point we stopped at a little inn along the way for a convenience stop. The view here was just gorgeous as the sun was trying to peek through the clouds creating the most amazing god rays. I cross my fingers hoping that my photos come out well. The view is of Dingle Bay and on the other side is Dingle Peninsula. Next to the inn is a house and sheep are roaming through the backyard, complete with mini soccer goals. Andy is definitely earning his pay today between crazy roads, kamikaze sheep, and making room for other cars. I tried to take a lot of photos from the coach today, but wasn't sure how well they would turn out, especially the photos I tried to take of the remains of a Celtic hill fort. We had a stop near the end of the Ring of Kerry in a small town called Sneem. The buildings here are all very colorful and the River Sneem was beautiful. We drove through Killarney National Park on our way back into Killarney. We got there around 1pm and had an hour for lunch. Had a toasted sandwich and walked around the shopping mall area with Jane and Audrey. There wasn't much more in Killarney that we were interested in seeing. Back on the bus for the drive to Limerick. Driver was pretty uneventful. We got to the hotel around 4pm and dinner was on our tonight as not enough people had signed up for the Irish Evening optional. Jane, Audrey, Terry and I walked around Limerick for a bit, taking photos of the River Shannon and we had a good view of King John's Castle. We asked at the tourist center for a good pub to eat at. We went back to the hotel and got Marcia and then walked to a pub on the docks called Dolan's. The food portions were HUGE, and they say American portions are out of control! I had a steakburger with cheese and chips for €12. Audrey and I decided that for the rest of the time in Ireland we were just going to split our food. After enjoying the pub atmosphere, we went back to the hotel, stopping at the grocery store across the street to get water and treats for the next day.

Hotel: Jurys Inn. My room has a fabulous view of the River Shannon. I had the room to my self this night. I also had a huge column in my room. I joked with everyone that my room came with a stripper pole!




MORE PHOTOS!!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.